“Intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect, in my opinion.” – Steve Jobs
Intuition – the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as the “natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence; a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why; something that is known or understood without proof or evidence.” For most of us, intuition is a hunch or feeling you have in your gut that is often accompanied by one or more physical sensations such as goose bumps or tightness in your chest. It is our “sixth” sense – it warns us to pay closer attention to someone or something that might be putting us in harm’s way or it’s telling us it’s ok to proceed. All animals have some sense of intuition; however, humans often deny or ignore it (sometimes with disastrous consequences).
We often hear people talk about a “woman’s intuition.” For generations, the term “woman’s intuition” has been used to describe the unexplainable, non-logical, sometimes quirky wisdom often exhibited by women. But, does such intuition have a place in business? I believe that it does. In fact, I believe that women who are strategic and intuitive have greater success than those who are not. In fact, I believe that deep down, most successful business people recognize that without their instincts, they never would have been successful. Therefore, as women, I believe that the more we exercise our intuition, the more we can become and remain successful.
Women have a natural ability to use their intuition to serve them in powerful ways, both in life and in business. Here are some things you can do to cultivate your intuition.
- Pay attention to your dreams and follow a vision. Creating a vision is your why and purpose. It will be your map for years to come.
- Ask empowered questions. Empowered questions will lead to empowered answers.
- Don’t be afraid to forge your new path. You don’t always have to follow the rules or popular trends. Think outside the box and develop creative solutions to problems that are innovative and transformative.
- Surround yourself with excellent people and support, motivate and cultivate them to be the best that they can be. In turn, ask for their input before making an important decision and listen to what they have to say.
- Quiet your mind. Your inner voice is always talking to you. However, many times it can’t be heard due to all the other mental chatter. Quiet your mind to access your intuitive intelligence.
- Separate emotion from intuition. Make sure that your decisions are coming from intuition and not emotion. You can ensure this by asking yourself if you are feeling anxious, afraid, worried or stressed out. If so, take a step back and re-evaluate. If not, then chances are very good it’s your intuition speaking to you.
- Consider alternatives before making a final decision.
“Follow your instinct. That’s where true wisdom manifests itself.” – Oprah
This post was written by Lisa Mueller.